Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Canker Sore Prevention With Lysine

What are Canker Sores?

gel cushions for pressure sores

Painful is what they are! Canker sores are round or irregular breaks in the mucous membranes in the mouth, tongue, or throat. They typically vary in size from a couple millimeters in width to more than 10 millimeters in width. (For Americans, think 1/8 inch to 1/2 inch.) They tend to be very painful, especially when irritated through contact with a toothbrush and acidic foods. Often they take weeks to heal. Fortunately, they are not contagious.

PRESSURE SORES

For whatever reason, canker sores seem to be more common in women than men. About 10% or more of the population suffers from them on a regular basis. If your parents or siblings have them, you are more likely to have them, too. So there's probably some genetic reason for susceptibility, but nobody knows what it is yet.

My Personal Misery and My "Secret Cure"

I used to get canker sores often, generally more than once per month. Often I had two or three of them at a time. Sometimes my mouth would be so painful that it was hard to eat. Even more embarrassing, sometimes the pain would be bad enough that I'd talk strangely and people would ask what was wrong with me. I can recall being like this for more than two decades from my childhood onward. My triggers for them were stress and lack of sleep. It was really obvious that if I got less than 6 hours sleep, I'd almost be sure to have one or more canker sores within a day or two.

Today, I don't have those problems any more. That's true even when I can't sleep at all for a day, something that used to trigger multiple canker sores. What's the secret to the improvement? My dentist suggested that I take lysine.

Yes, I was skeptical about it at first. First I found out that L-Lysine is the same as lysine. Next I learned that it is an essential amino acid of which people need about 1000mg to 1500mg per day for basic nutrition at a bare minimum. It turns out that meat, cheese, legumes, some fish, and eggs are good sources. However, I don't each much meat or eggs, so it was looking rather unlikely I was getting enough lysine through diet.

While visiting a local drugstore one day, I noticed that lysine is very inexpensive. So I took my dentist's advice and bought a bottle to try it. The results were basically immediate. In the last two years, I have had only two or three canker sores, versus the several dozen I would normally have had over the same time period. None were as large as many used to be, and all healed in days rather than weeks. No more painful eating, and no more weird talking due to mouth pain. It's a minor miracle!

Find out about the dosage and cost of lysine by clicking on the following link: Dosage and Cost

Canker Sore Prevention With Lysine

PRESSURE SORES

No comments:

Post a Comment