Sunday, August 14, 2011

My Rock Massage Experience

Yesterday I treated myself to my first stone massage. I was nervous as I had never had one before. The purpose of this article is to tell you what it is, and some history. I went in with some preconceptions about how exactly the session would go. I wondered whether the masseuse was going to pummel me with rocks until I became unconscious or if I was going to have hot rocks brushed across my skin. Well, it turns out that I was wrong on one of the two assumptions.

The history of using rocks for massaging purposes can be traced back thousands of years ago where it's said that the ancients used clay, stones, and other natural implements for healing purposes. The technique hasn't changed much since then. The rocks are sanitized and warmed to 120°F - 130°F and while the stones are warming to temperature, the masseuse begins with a normal massage to relax the muscles. The stones vary in size, shape, and weight. One of the benefits of using stones is that pressure and the application of pressure over an area can be altered very quickly, with a simple throw of a stone.

PRESSURE SORES STAGES

The massage is unlike any other, the masseuse will work the muscles first with their fingers, and they will then use the stones either individually or in pairs to apply pressure to the muscles beneath. The masseuse will then glide the stones over your skin; this is a very relaxing experience. I would relate it to a sitting against the jets in a hot tub. The masseuse I went to used several steps (I call them steps, she called them stages), but she started out with smaller and cooler rocks. These were used for light prodding of muscle tissue. She then moved up to slightly heavier and warmer rocks which produced more pressure and heat. These were also used for the majority of the deep muscle work, they were centered above muscle groups (trapezoids, lumbar, and spinal) an either left to sit or pivoted and weighted. The second step also produced a little pain (my back isn't usually probed). Well, next came the second to final step, these were large flatter stones that were used to glide over the back, they brushed my skin, producing a tingling sensation (I guess it varies with everyone), she then set it over my shoulder blades which actually felt quite nice. The final stones were larger still and they were used purely for relaxation. They were placed under a cloth upon which I laid. I was asked to center my lower back on them, so I did. The probing and stretching sensation gave way to a very luxurious feeling as my lower back muscles were forced to relax.

I really hope you enjoyed this article. There are several qualified stone massage therapists in and around the United States, though the massage itself is most popular in Europe. I recommend that anyone go and have a try as it's a very invigorating and relaxing experience!

My Rock Massage Experience

PRESSURE SORES STAGES

No comments:

Post a Comment